Tuesday 31 July 2012

The Results Are In pt 1

Ola interwebs!

I would love to be telling you about how the paper prototype went.  However the only thing I can say for certain is that engineers ata kegger are a less than ideal test group, and things being a little hectic, I only got one play through completed.

So the plan is to bring the prototype to the next gamedev club meeting and try it out when everyone is sober.  Probably better for a strategy game anyway.

As it stands though, I did learn a bit from the one test.

The rules are not inherently intuitive.  It's difficult for players to associate the orders a unit can carry out with the unit itself.  The order submission is also unnatural, but partly because it is unique to this game.  I think I can fix this in the digital version with a change in the UI metaphor.  The order association is also easily fixed in the digital version where a mouse over is possible.

For the future prototype sessions, I need better rules documentation to explain the rules.  I think I also need to establish set forms for the orders.  I had hoped to base this form on the orders the testers created on their own, but a little bit of restriction could do a lot to lessen the confusion when the orders are being written.  I think I'll let people free hand them at gamedev then narrow down the forms for the next test session.  Next project is going to have to be a set of typed rules in a logical order.

I also think I need to alter the balance, but I think that's better left until after a bit more testing.

So that's the story so far.  I'll have part 2 up after Thursday.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment